Negative emotions need food to survive
Almost everything needs food in order to survive; sometimes not literal food, but food in the form of attention.
What do you pay attention to in your life? Is it helping or hindering your desire for spiritual growth, self-fulfillment, happiness, and peace of mind?
We naturally feed those things we cherish, often without having to think about it, but have you ever considered you might be unconsciously feeding things you don't want?
Hate cannot exist and grow inside us unless we feed it. Conversely, love cannot exist and grow inside us if we don’t feed it either.
Anger, distrust, self pity, anxiety, loneliness, suffering, depression—all these negative emotions can only grow and thrive if we feed them by giving them our attention and indulging them. Otherwise, like a houseplant left unattended, in time they will wither and die.
As 2020 comes to a close, it's a good time to take stock of what you are feeding and allowing to thrive in your life.
If you want love, kindness, acceptance, forgiveness, gratitude, creativity, presence, and Spirit to grow in your life, you must feed them.
Here are a few ways in which you can feed Spirit:
- Art (writing, music, dance, sculpture, painting) - There are many artists throughout history who awakened or who were clearly inspired by God to create. Take the time to enjoy their works. A few to consider: William Blake, Rainer Maria Rilke, Walt Whitman, Johann Sebastian Bach, Michel de Montaigne, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Teresa of Avila, Emanuel Swedenborg, Leonardo da Vinci.
- Meditate - Be still and quiet the mind, even if it’s only for 5 minutes
- Practice Mindfulness - Try to bring mindfulness to everything you do
- Yoga - Works the body/mind/spirit connection at the same time.
- Practice love, compassion and forgiveness - Practice this with people with whom your ego dislikes or finds annoying.
- Seek spiritually-minded people and partake in the works of other valid spiritual teachers - read their books/blogs/newsletters, watch videos, join facebook groups, etc.
- Volunteer - Spend time helping those less fortunate
- Discover what brings you true joy and make it a priority in your life - Gardening, hiking, walking, painting, cooking, fishing, camping, spending time with loved ones, going to the beach, etc.
I hope you'll take a look at those things you are feeding and nourishing in your life. If they are negative and counterproductive to your desire for spiritual health and happiness, it might be time to focus on those things less and turn your attention more towards those things that bring you joy. And most importantly, make sure you are feeding your soul.
Subscribe to receive my latest articles and more!
I hate SPAM. I will never sell your information, for any reason.